Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Working out with my son Josh


In July I decided to add my son Joshua to my gym membership. He's 15 years old and I thought it was about time to get him involved in some sort of physical activity other than Nintendo Wii! He's out of school for the summer and spends most of his time playing video games in the basement. Working out takes allot of my time so I thought it would be a great way for us to spend some time together before I leave for Korea.

It's been a challenge for many reasons. First, to incorporate him into my workouts, I end up going to the gym almost every day and sometimes twice a day. Second, he lacks motivation to go and he only goes because I require it. Thinking back, I doubt if I was motivated at 15 so I can't really judge him. He also battles with ADHD and a touch of Aspbergers Syndrome.

It's taken patience but we have stuck with it for over six weeks now working out four times a week. Many times we both get frustrated but then there are times when he will push himself and add more weight on his own. I'll also catch him flexing his muscles and he will admit that he enjoys the results. That makes it all worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment