Thursday, August 27, 2009

22 Mile training run. FAIL!



Not every day is going to be a good training day. To run your longest training run ever, you need to be on the top of your game. Today was not my day. I set out for a long run before my trip to the beach. I didn't set out to complete a specific distance. I wanted to get running and see how I felt.

The run started out pretty routine and I had a healthy pace which was a little faster than I usually do. I was running on the Mount Vernon trail and my plan was to run out and back to my car. At eight miles I was still feeling good so I headed up into Old Town Alexandria. I made it to the 10 mile turn around point and I was still feeling good so I decided to go a little further to make this my 22 mile training run.

One annoying problem was the shorts I chose. The draw string in them was missing and as I they got soaked with sweat they started slipping off my butt. Very annoying pulling them up every minute or so and it was getting worse. I ended up tucking the shorts into the waistband of my undies. That did a decent job of keeping them up longer at least. (I know, thanks for sharing!)

Around the seven mile marker on the way back I started to feel fatigue in my chest and my back was pretty achy. Them came mile marker six. Mile six is pretty demanding and is almost entirely uphill. I finished it off but that was it for me. I had to start walking at mile marker 5.

So there I was,unable to run anymore and 5 miles away from my car! I thought if I walk for a mile I might be able to run again. Nothing doing. My brain and body had decided running time was over. I managed to run a few hundred meters here and there but that was it.

Those last 5 miles were miserable! Running 17 miles when you're feeling good is so much easier than walking 5 miles when your body has shut down. I snapped this photo soon after I started walking.




So what happened? I'm not sure but these could have been contributing factors:

- Thursday is not my usual long day. I usually run them on Saturday.
- I got started about an hour late so the heat and humidity may have been a factor.
- I could have eaten a little better the night before.
- I could have eating more before I started and have more to eat during the run.

The whole thing is a bit frustrating but I found this quote in my inbox this morning:

Frustration is the first step towards improvement. I have no incentive to improve if I'm content with what I can do and if I'm completely satisfied with my pace, distance, and form as a runner. It's only when I face frustration and use it to fuel my dedication that I feel myself moving forwards.

John "The Penguin" Bingham

No comments:

Post a Comment