Sunday, January 3, 2010

Headed to China to Run the Great Wall Marathon!




I've been planning this one for awhile now.  When I first got to Korea, some people I ran with mentioned an adventure marathon in China on the Great Wall.  I looked it up and showed the link to my wife Jenn to see what she thought.  Her response during one of our may Skype calls said it all.
"You gotta do it"  "It's a chance of a lifetime!"

She was right.  As my years in the military wind down, the chances of being back in Asia are not likely.  Even if I did, who knows how old I would be or what condition my body will be in.  There are those who will say "Maybe sometime I'll..."  Well, my sometime is now.  I'm here now, capable of running the Great Wall Marathon and that's what I plan to do.

This won't be an ordinary run and will involve traveling 26.2 miles over a wide variety of terrain and elevation.  Then there are the stairs. Literally thousands of them of varying sizes and height!  I can expect to add at least 25% more to my marathon time to complete the Great Wall Marathon.

Although I've continued to keep my training up over the past few months, the new year triggers me into action and I'll be stepping up my game.  This means lots of extra miles, dropping some pounds, and lots and lots of stairs.  I'M PUMPED!

Enjoy the promo video and website link below.

FatSergeant



Great Wall Marathon Website




1 comment:

  1. Well done ! These are great pictures of the Great Wall! Which reminds me… I should go through my India pictures and post some. I log on to your blog on a regular basis. Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

    In return, I also found a great blog of Jinshanling travel tips, I’d love to share it here with you and for future travelers.
    http://www.wildgreatwall.com/how-difficult-is-it-to-do-great-wall-one-day-hike-from-jinshanling-to-simatai-west/

    ReplyDelete